What is the EVIFA-Search?
The EVIFA-Search is the FID SKA's reference tool providing ethnological research resources, designed to assist you in your research efforts. We strive to combine as many datasets of ethnologically relevant subject information as possible, in order to come closer to a one-stop-shop reference tool - or perhaps to lead you to a data source you haven’t been aware of so far. The EVIFA-Search will not only lead you to literature and films, but will also offer you diverse sets of ethnological data – such as articles, research data, and estate materials, as well as, in perspective, image data sets.
Search index composition
The EVIFA-Search is based on a search index compiled in cooperation by the FID SKA and the KOBV, composed of various data sources. We have – wherever possible - filtered ethnological titles from the German library networks via library classifications, added available data from special libraries with ethnological focus and collected special data sets that might be of interest for ethnological research. Here is a list of the data sources currently ingested:
- Universitätsbibliothek Humboldt-Universität
- Museum Fünf Kontinente München
- Halle/S. MPI Ethnol. Forschung
- MPI zur Erf. multirelig. u. multiethn. Ges./ Göttingen
- Museum am Rothenbaum - Kulturen und Künste der Welt
- Berlin SMB Mus. Europ. Kulturen
- Berlin SMB Mus. Ethnolog. Museum
- Weltkulturen Museum Frankfurt
- Museum für Völkerkunde Leipzig
- Bibliotheksservice-Zentrum Baden-Württemberg
- Gemeinsamer Bibliotheksverbund der Länder Bremen, Hamburg, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Niedersachsen, Sachsen-Anhalt, Schleswig-Holstein, Thüringen und der Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz
- Kooperativer Bibliotheksverbund Berlin-Bandenburg
- Hessisches Bibliotheks- und Informationssystem
- BibliotheksVerbund Bayern
- Hochschulbibliothekszentrum des Landes NRW
- Universitätsbibliothek Regensburg
- Universitätsbibliothek Bayreuth
- Universitätsbibliothek Würzburg
- Bayerische Staatsbibliothek
- Universitätsbibliothek der LMU München
- Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
- Online Contents Ethnologie - Aufsätze
- Filmbestand IWF
- Open-Access-Publikationsserver der Humboldt-Universität
- Digitale Sammlungen HU Berlin
- Kalliope Nachlassdatenbank
In addition, the FID SKA contributes its own data: Its own holdings from the Humboldt-Universitaet library catalogue, digitised items from digitisation projects, metadata from licensed materials by the FID SKA (for direct access a registration with the Competence Center for Licensing – KfL – might be necessary), open access titles from our e-doc server. Former EVIFA databases such as the Internationale Volkskundliche Bibliographie Online (IVB-Online) and catalogued web pages (formerly collected in the Ethno-Guide) are being prepared for the search index and will be available soon. First metadata sets on archived research records at Qualiservice are also just being made available for the index and will be added to on an ongoing basis in the future.
However, the search index will continue to be supplemented with further ethnologically relevant data sets: Currently planned are the inclusion of ethnological open access titles from the Bielefeld Academic Search Engine (BASE), journal article data from the CrossRef dataset, metadata on the ethnological image holdings of the Deutsche Fotothek (collection "Weltsichten"), data on the image holdings of the Institut für Sächsische Geschichte und Volksunde (ISGV), and a dataset from the Wossidlo Archive in Rostock.
How to get access to search results
The data quality of these different data sources is very heterogeneous and not all data fields of the search index can therefore be filled in uniformly. Thus, the so called facets provided in the search navigaton do not always offer a complete sum of titles in the filtering process, and some title records are more detailed than others. We try to link the records to their original sources (catalogues and databases) via deep linking, in order to offer more bibliographic information. Ideally, we provide links to the full texts if they are either licensed by the FID SKA or open access titles. Otherwise, we will try to provide ways of accessing the titles via other services. The service portfolio is continuosly being developed and we are grateful for your feedback.
Please feel free to contact us if you have exciting additions to our datasets to offer at your institution or if you notice any bugs in the functionality. If you find works (literature and films) that are not available for interlibrary loan in Germany, even though they have been published already and are still commercially available, you are welcome to order and check out the title from us using our direct delivery service.
We wish you good luck with your research!